Turmeric Tomatoes are a real summertime treat!
Turmeric tomatoes taste amazing. In fact they are one of my all time favourite Indian vegetable dishes. I adapted this recipe from a recipe in the late great Barbara Tropp’s book ‘China Moon’. If you like Chinese food get yourself a copy of her book as the recipes are out of this world. Barbara Tropp gave this recipe a Chinese twist but I replaced her Chinese ingredients with ingredients that are used in Indian cookery. The result is a fresh tasting, crisp salad that is packed with flavour.
If you have any turmeric tomatoes left over, they taste great on toasted French bread and can also be thrown tossed into a pasta with outstanding results.
I use cherry tomatoes for this recipe when they are in season. You will want to use the nicest and freshest you can find. I have a friend from New Delhi who uses green tomatoes instead of red and also adds green chillies. Feel free to use other ingredients here. You really can’t go wrong as long as your ingredients are nice and fresh.
Preparation and cooking time 15 minutes plus standing time.
INGREDIENTS for turmeric tomatoes
400g fresh cherry tomatoes
5 Spring onions – finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
5 Tablespoons mild olive oil
4 cloves garlic – smashed
4 green cardamons
A pinch of sugar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of saffron
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and place in a glass bowl.
2. Add the chopped spring onion and finely chopped ginger.
3. In a small pan, heat the olive oil and then add the galic, cloves, cardamon, sugar, salt and turmeric.
4. Stir in the pan for about a minute and then pour the mixture over the tomatoes.
5. Add the vinegar, saffron and garam masala and stir.
6. Allow the mixture to sit untouched for about two hours. Stir and serve.
I would love to hear how you get on with this recipes. I hope you like it as much as I do. Were you able to improve the turmeric tomatoes in any way? Do you care to share?
Turmeric tomatoes can also be served warmed in the oven.