Green bean curry makes a tasty and easy side dish
One thing I can say about traditional Indian cooking is that they sure know how to make their vegetables taste great! This green bean curry also happens to be one of the easiest recipes I know. There is no spice grinding to do! You can simply purchase the ingredients and other than a bit of chopping and grating your set to go.
This is a nice green bean curry recipe from southern Indian. It incorporates all the lovely flavours that the area is known for such as coconut, chillies, mustard seeds and curry leaves. All of these lovely ingredients work together to create an amazing green bean curry that can be served as a side dish but can also easily stand on its own as a main course.
All of the flavours are fresh and inviting and aroma in my kitchen last night was good enough to make the whole family very hungry.
My 174 page ebook is available now
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac and PC right here.
- 3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 red onion – cut into thin slices
- 6 green chillies – halved
- 1 inch piece of ginger – finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – smashed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- 400g fresh green beans trimmed and cut
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the onion and fry until it is translucent and lightly browned – about three minutes
- Now add the green chillies, ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli powder. Cook stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, tomatoes and about a quarter cup of water. Cover and allow to simmer until the green beans are cooked through and tender to the bite.
- Throw in your grated coconut. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy with an Indian style rice dish or plain white rice.
This green bean curry almost convinced me to go veggie!
If you like the look of this green bean curry, please share it using the share icons below. Thanks!