Lamb rogan josh is the most popular lamb dish at Indian restaurants
My Latest and Favourite Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe is in my New Hardbound Cookbook!
This lamb rogan josh recipe is simply delicious! I have been making it for the past few years and though I love traditional recipes, there is something about this restaurant style lamb rogan josh that just gets it. It’s creamy and has a nice spicy punch.
Mutton or lamb rogan josh originated in the Kashmir region of India where it is made with whole spices. The lamb, mutton or goat meat is stewed for a couple of hours with the spices including cockscomb which is not available in the West which gives the curry its trademark red colour. In this recipe we use paprika to achieve the red tone. You could also try infusing Ratton Jot in a little oil for a natural extra red colour. It is available at many Asian shops.
In order to make this lamb rogan josh the restaurant way, you will need to cook your meat first and make a restaurant style curry sauce. You could simply use left over cooked lamb but you may like to try my restaurant style cooking method here.
My base curry sauce can be used as a base for many different restaurant style curries – spicy to mild. Think of the base sauce as a vegetable stock. It does not have a lot of flavour on its own but when you add different spices and ingredients to it from my recipes, you will find that classic Indian takeaway flavour.
Below is a video of a more recent video of this recipe.
In restaurant Indian cooking, the meat is pre-cooked so that it is not tough when served. There aren’t many diners who would be willing to wait two hours for their meal. If you love restaurant style Indian cooking, and you like the mildly spicy flavour of lamb rogan josh, you are going to love this recipe!
Pre-order and Reserve your copy of my Cookbook on Amazon UK!
For international orders, please check out The Book Depository and choose your currency.
- 800g lamb leg cut into one inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 750ml heated curry sauce - Link to recipe above
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cashew paste (Simply pound a cashews with a little water into a paste)
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste (not used at all restaurants for rogan josh)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- In a large sauce pan, heat the ghee or oil until bubbling hot.
- When hot, add the paprika, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder. Allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Toss in the garlic and ginger paste followed and stir it all up to combine.
- Pour in the base curry sauce along with the cashew paste. Stir to combine.
- The sauce will turn a deep red colour - add the meat and a little of the cooking juices for flavour.
- Reduce the heat and add the yogurt one teaspoon at a time whisking as you do to combine. If you add the yorgurt all at once it will curdle.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste along with the dried fenugreek leaves.
- Top with chopped coriander and serve with white rice and/or naans.
Be sure to stop back by and let me know how you like the restaurant style lamb rogan josh!