Photobucket
corporate printed pens banner
Twitter
RSS
Facebook

How To Make Indian Cardamom Rice Pudding

Jennifer loves rice pudding

Jennifer loves cardamom rice pudding!

This is rice pudding with a difference

I’ve made this rice pudding recipe twice this week. First I made it with my eight year old daughter, Jennifer with Basmati rice – the way I was taught to cook it. Then I made it again with pudding rice.

You see, both Jennifer and I loved it with the Basmati rice but my older two kids and wife were not very impressed. They are too set in their ways and expectations and wanted the rice they were used to.

In the end, I didn’t really mind. I was curious and enjoyed eating it.

Which rice you use is completely up to you. In my opinion both work very well.

Once you’ve decided on which rice to use, you’ll be happy to know that this recipe is very easy and tasty too. It can also be made ahead of time, kept warm and then heated up again just before serving.

The recipe calls for rosewater which is not always easy to find. I have seen it at major super markets and of course in Indian markets. It is also available online. I really recommend purchasing a bottle as it keeps forever and is also very good in biryanis and other rice dishes.

Want to watch how we made this rice pudding?

INGREDIENTS

150g pudding rice or basmati rice
1 litre whole milk
250ml single cream
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
5 tablespoons sugar
1 splash of rosewater

method

Place the pudding rice in a medium sized pan and cover with boiling water. Leave for 15 minutes and then drain.

Now place the rice back in the pan and pour in the milk, cream, cardamom powder and sugar.

Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a very low setting. Stir regularly to ensure the milk does not burn to the bottom of the pan.

After 20 minutes, the rice will cook through and the sauce will become creamy and smooth.

13 Responses to “How To Make Indian Cardamom Rice Pudding”

1. Vanesther says:

Normally I’m not a big fan of rice pudding (memories of school dinners) but I have to say I’m rather tempted to give this cardamom version a go! Thanks for posting!

2. Mark says:

Nice one Dan.You have now set me a challenge – how to get one of my boys into my cooking shots!

Mark

3. Delinda says:

How does rice pudding work with coconut milk turn out? I am thinking of the lactose intolerant.

• Dan Toombs says:

Hi Delinda

I’ve never tried that but I see know reason why it wouldn’t work. You may need a little more coconut milk. I think it could be quite nice.

Thanks
      Dan

4. Ms. Joy says:

I love the rosewater addition. My mom always made a very traditional cinnamon flavoured rice pudding when I was growing up. (Truth be told, I use my rosewater as a facial toner!)

• Dan Toombs says:

Hi

Thanks for stopping by. Give that rosewater a go in your next batch of rice pudding. It really is nice. :)

5. FrankieB says:

That’s not an Indian recipe, it’s Spanish.

Cardamom, cinnamon or nutmeg can be used and the rosewater is optional and can be replaced by cognac, sherry or lefy out altogether. It’s traditionally served cold and set though I prefer it warm.

Why do so many people instantly assume that any sweet with any spice is Asian?

6. Hi, I tried this recipe two months ago and forgot to say thanks. Cardamom flavor was perfect harmony with sweetness. Thank you for sharing your live for this wonderful type of cuisine.

7. Hardeep (known as Harry) says:

This recipe is definitely Indian; it’s how my mum has always made rice pudding. Although I do remember the rice being cooked with a lot more milk, no cream & for what seemed like hours sometimes to reduce the milk down & make it really thick & creamy.