This simple cucumber salad is very low in calories while being quite high in taste!
One thing I have learned through making so much Indian food is that there are so many amazingly good recipes out there with next to no calories! That’s right… you can eat healthily and still enjoy some great food. Lately I have been cooking a lot of vegetarian curries and serving them with salads like this this cucumber salad. It only takes minutes to make and works well as a side dish or on its own.
Depending on where you live, you might find it difficult to find all of the ingredients. Do try to source them as they all work so well together in this dish.
Of course, if you must, you could leave some of the ingredients out. It should still be very nice.
On the weekends when I allow myself to indulge a bit more, I like topping naans with a selection of curries and a bit of this cucumber salad and a yogurt raita. It tastes incredibly good.
- 1 large cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli pepper - deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriander finely chopped
- The juice of one lemon
- 4 tablespoon desiccated coconut - toasted in a dry frying pan
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 10 fresh (or frozen) curry leaves. DO NOT use dried leaves
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida
- Place the sliced cucumber into a bowl with the red chilli, fresh coriander, desiccated coconut and lemon juice.
- Mix well to coat the cucumber pieces with the other ingredients.
- Now pour the vegetable oil into a small frying pan and place over medium high heat.
- When the oil is quite hot but not smoking, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds and then more the mixture over the cucumber salad.
- Again, stir to combine and serve.