This turkey curry is so easy to make.
Those of you who have been following my blog for a while will know that I am a big fan of British Indian Restaurant (BIR) style cooking. I have many recipes on my blog for BIR curries and also have a curry sauce recipe that makes cooking BIR curries faster and easier.
Every now and then, however I receive a request for a BIR curry that can be made without first preparing the curry sauce.
This turkey curry recipe can be used with any meat or fish. It will give you that beautiful BIR flavour without all the fuss.
Remember that if you are using other types of meat such as lamb, goat or beef, you will need to cook the meat a lot longer so that it is tender and nice before serving.
Many people like a smooth curry sauce. This one is not but you could blend the sauce ingredients – minus the whole spices – before adding the meat if you want to.
My 174 page ebook is available now
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac and PC right here.
- 800g turkey meat cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions cut into thin slices
- 400ml chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger – grated
- 2 tablespoons butter/ghee
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 1 inch piece of cassia or cinnamon
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of my curry powder or a good quality alternative
- Melt the butter/ghee over medium heat and toss in the onion slices.
- When the onion slices become soft and translucent, add the chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, cloves, cardamom and cassia.
- Stir to combine and let the spices get to know each other, happily sizzling for about a minute.
- Now add the turkey pieces and turn them in the butter to cook on the outside.
- Add just enough water to make a think sauce and cover and stir in the cumin, coriander, chilli powder and curry powder.
- Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the turkey is cooked through and tender. You may need to add a little water during this time.
The delicious free range turkey used in this turkey curry recipe was sent to me by Farmer’s Choice to try. Farmer’s Choice deliver free range meat throughout the UK.