I think more people should try rose veal!
Rose veal is absolutely amazing! It is tender and has a flavour that is just as good as traditionally reared veal. You don’t need to do much to this meat to make a delicious and impressive feast.
This recipe, for example is one of my personal favourites. I would like to encourage you to make my mild mango pickle when you try this recipe. It does take seven days to make but is well worth it.
You could of course also use a good quality store bought mango pickle.
I used oak smoked cumin, smoked black pepper and garlic and it was really good. You could use unsmoked spices but if you can find them, try smoked.
In my opinion, rose veal chops are best served nice and pink in the middle. Over cook it and you may as well go find yourself a tough piece of beef rump.
- 4 rose veal chops – 1 inch thick
- Juice of 3 limes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 6 cloves smoked garlic – smashed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked cumin
- 1 teaspoon cracked smoked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Mix the lime juice, garlic, cumin, chilli flakes, 2 tablespoons olive oil and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Dump in the meat and rub the marinade deep into the flesh.
- Cover and allow to marinate for three to eight hours in the fridge.
- Be sure to bring the meat to room temperature before frying.
- Pour the remaining oil into a frying pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Pat each of the rose veal chops dry and then place the in the hot oil. You should only need to cook the veal for about two minutes per side. Be sure to watch it though so you don’t over cook!
- TO SERVE
- Place each rose veal chop on a warmed plate. Cover with the mango pickle and enjoy.