You’ve got to try the rose veal supplied by Alternative Meats!
I love rose veal. In order to get it right, however you’ve really got to watch it. Because rose veal is quite low in fat, you need to ensure that you don’t overcook it. Personally I like it rare. Medium rare is alright for some but cook it longer than that and this beautiful and tender meat will turn to leather.
The tandoori masala and smoked cumin really added to the flavour where the sauce could be a bit much for some. I really liked it but veal just doesn’t need a rich sauce. I’ll leave that one up to you.
Either way, I hope you enjoy this recipe. I have used my new smoked spice blends here but feel free to use other good quality blends.
By the way, if you are in the UK and want to source excellent quality rose veal, I recommend Alternative Meats!
- 4 x rose veal sirloins
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon CURRY GUY smoked tandoori masala
- 1 tablespoon CURRY GUY smoked cumin
- 1 teaspoon CURRY GUY smoked spicy salt
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick roughly chopped
- 750ml light veal or beef stock
- 500ml red wine
- 125ml Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon CURRY GUY smoked garam masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrots and celery and fry until the the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic paste and the garam masala and fry for another minute and then pour in the stock, red wine and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature and let simmer until only about ¼ of the liquid remains. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a sieve – pressing down on the solids to get all the flavour into the sauce and set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Coat the veal steaks evenly with the tandoori masala, smoked cumin and spicy salt.
- Carefully place the veal sirloins in the hot oil and fry on both sides for about two minutes for rare or to your preferred doneness.
- Pour a little sauce over each rose veal steak and serve.
Disclaimer:The rose veal used in this recipe was supplied to me to try by Alternative Meats and I highly recommend their service!
The Curry Guy Smoked Spiced can be purchased online at The Virtual Farmers Market.