This currywurst recipe comes direct from a real German!
I have no doubt that some of you are going to wonder what this recipe is doing on my site. Currywurst doesn’t exist in India and for that matter it’s not all that popular here in the UK. You would not believe how many requests I have had for a good currywurst recipe!
So here it is. My kids love it. We use German bratwurst just like they do in Germany where currywurst is a much loved and popular treat.
I met my wife while we were both studying in Germany and currywurst was not only cheap but on every street corner and schnell imbiss. I never thought that twenty years later I would be doing a homemade version but this food sure does bring back some great memories.
You could simply purchase some hotdogs, heat them up and pour the sauce over them. That’s often what you get in Germany. Bratwurst is a lot nicer though. If you aren’t all that bothered about achieving that authentic German flavour, use some good quality sausages and serve the sauce on the side just as you would ketchup.
I love the smoky flavour of my CURRY GUY curry powder in this recipe. It takes an otherwise simple fast-food dish and makes it into something special.
The CURRY GUY smoked spices can be purchased online at The Virtual Farmers Market.
This currywurst recipe is so easy to make and kids love it!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons CURRY GUY smoked curry powder
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 500ml chopped tomatoes
- 125ml sugar
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat and add the chopped onions.
- Saute the chopped onions until very soft and translucent.
- Pour in the curry powder and paprika and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and vinegar and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- When the sauce is nice and thick, pour it into a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Season with the salt and pepper and serve over your favourite sausages.