This is an easy dish though it does take some forward planning. It looks quite impressive when served so it is perfect for a family meal or a posh dinner party.
The stuffed chicken breasts can be cooked ahead of time and then pan fried and browned until hot just before serving. I served the chicken with stir fried vegetables and a pinch of turmeric which is simple but good. You could also serve the chicken on it’s own or in any of the chicken curry sauces found on this site.
Pre-order and Reserve your copy of my Cookbook on Amazon UK!
Also Available on Amazon.com
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 400g fresh baby spinach leaves (washed and squeezed dry)
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 2 (or more) finely chopped fresh green chilies
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 300g grated paneer
- 2 tablespoons shop bought tandoori masala (or homemade)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a very sharp knife, place the blade to the side of the chicken breasts and slice them lengthwise through the centre but not completely through.
- Open the chicken breasts up and lay flat on the counter surface.
- Cover with cling film and flatten with a mallet or other heavy object such as a rolling pin.
- Heat the ghee in a large frying pan and then throw in the chopped onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add the garlic and ginger paste, the tandoori masala, the chopped chilies and the spinach and fry over high heat until the spinach is just slightly wilted but still quite fresh looking.
- Remove from the pan, squeeze dry and chop finely.
- Now place a couple of tablespoons of the spinach mixture on top of each flattened chicken breast and then top with a little of the grated paneer.
- Roll out a long piece of cling film and roll each of the chicken breasts tightly into sausage shapes, twisting the ends to make them extra tight.
- Bring a large bowl of water to a boil and then place the rolled chicken breasts into the water.
- Boil the rolled chicken breasts for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the plastic wrap and cut diagonally into 2 centimetre thick pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.