This Indian street food dish is best made with live lobsters. The meat will be much more tender and the flavour will be absolutely amazing. If using cooked lobsters, it is important to use a very hot oven and add the thermidor sauce when it is nice and hot too.
When using live lobsters, stick your knife directly into the head of the lobster with the blade facing toward the front of the head. Then chop down spitting the head in two. Turn your knife around inside the head slit and slice the other direction cutting the body and tail into two identical halves.
Carefully remove the meat from the tail and claws and remove the sacks and spongy finger like things from the body. In the end, you should have an empty talk and body shell.
Cut the tail meat into bite sized pieces and do the same with the larger claw meat.
And now for the recipe!
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Mac and PC right here!
|Indian Street Food – Indian-Inspired Lobster Thermidor|
- 2 lobsters prepared as above.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 onion very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 100ml white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese – grated
- Juice of two limes
- Preheat your grill to its highest setting.
- Melt the ghee over medium heat on the hob in a saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the finely chopped onion.
- Allow the onion to fry for about ten minutes until it is translucent and soft but not browned.
- Now add the garlic paste, cumin powder, red chili and English mustard and stir to combine.
- Pour in the white wine and turn up the heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the sauce boils, reduce the heat again and add the double cream and saffron and stir it into the sauce.
- To finish the sauce, add the yogurt one tablespoon at a time while stirring followed by the chopped coriander.
- Pour the warmed sauce over the lobster meat mix well.
- Place the tail meat back into the hallow tail shells and the claw meat into the bodies.
- Place the lobsters meat side up on a baking tray and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and then put under the grill.
- Cook for about five minutes until the meat is just cooked through. Cooking times may vary depending on your oven so watch it closely.
- When cooked through, squeeze with the lime juice and serve immediately.