Tandoori lobster should be made with live lobsters. Be sure to check out how to prepare the lobster and stock before starting this recipe.
When I developed this recipe, I wanted to ensure that the spices were kept to a minimum. You could always add more but personally I think it is important to complement and not compete with the natural flavour of the lobster. I think I’ve done it here.
It is important to cook the lobsters in a very hot oven. I used a wood burning oven that was at 300c. You could also use a tandoor oven, BBQ or home oven. Cooking times will vary depending how hot you get your oven so watch the lobsters carefully.
As the lobster is par-cooked beforehand before you start, you only need to cook the meat for a further four or five minutes. Be extra careful not to overcook the lobster or it will become tough.
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Mac and PC right here!
- 2 x 750g lobsters - prepared
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 20 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ onion very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 150ml lobster stock
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- 150ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese - grated
- Juice of two limes
- Preheat your oven to its highest setting.
- Melt the ghee over medium heat on the hob in a saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the finely chopped onion.
- Allow the onion to fry for about ten minutes until it is translucent and soft but not browned.
- Now add the garlic paste, cumin powder, red chili and English mustard and stir to combine.
- Pour in the lobster stock and turn up the heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the sauce boils, reduce the heat again and add the double cream and saffron and stir it into the sauce.
- To finish the sauce, add the yogurt one tablespoon at a time while stirring followed by the chopped coriander.
- Take off the heat to cool slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the lobster meat mix well.
- Place the tail meat back into the hallow tail shells and the claw meat into the bodies.
- Place the lobsters meat side up on a baking tray and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and then place in your oven.
- Cook for about four to five minutes until the meat is just cooked through. Cooking times may vary depending on your oven so watch it closely. DO NOT over cook or the meat will become tough.
- When cooked through, squeeze with the lime juice and serve immediately.