My Indian food recipes are inspired so much by my childhood in the US!
I count myself as being very lucky to have grown up in such a multi-cultural society as California. Thirty years ago there were not very many Indian families in my hometown in California though there were a lot of Mexicans in my neighbourhood and it was food that brought us all together.
Food seems to do that quite well.
Nowadays, there are a lot of Indian families living in Northern California and it’s great seeing how many of the new families there are shopping at my favourite Mexican shops and visa-versa. It’s the Mexican and Indian shops where you find the best quality spices, vegetables, fruit and meat in my hometown of Turlock. These shops are where I go to purchase food when I go home.
The thing is, Mexican and Indian food is so similar. They both have their unique differences but so many of the spices and produce used are the same.
Take these crab tostadas for example. Tostadas are very Mexican but they could so easily be Indianised (not sure if that is a word but I’m sure you get the idea) in this day and age.
One thing I have really missed living in the UK for the past 20 years are corn tortillas. These tostadas could so easily be made with wheat flour tortillas as they are quite often in many US restaurants. I have made them with Indian chapatis too which work very well.
Today, however I want to inspire my friends around the world to try corn tortillas. If you’ve never tried them before, then please try to source some. In the UK, you can purchase fresh corn tortillas from The Cool Chili Company. They make their tortillas fresh every day and they are just as good as any corn tortillas I’ve every tried back in California or Mexico.
If you are not able to source corn tortillas, then you will still want to try this crab tostada recipe with flour tortillas or chapatis. I promise… you will love it.
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Mac and PC right here!
|Indian Food Recipes – You Are Going To Love These Crab Tostadas||
- 8 x 10cm corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Meat from one crab or 350g fresh crab meat
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cos lettuce
- 200g grated Cheddar or Paneer cheese
- Tomato chutney (As above)
- Avocado raita (as above)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- When the oil is hot enough to fry a piece of tortilla in about 30 seconds, carefully lower the tortillas into the oil.
- Fry until the tortillas a ridged and crispy.
- Remove the tortillas from the oil and place on kitchen paper towels to soak up the excess oil
- Spread the crab meat equally over the tortillas. The crab meat can be served at room temperature or warmed. I prefer mine at room temperature.
- Blend the mayonnaise with the lime juice, garlic and cumin and then toss with the lettuce.
- Place the lettuce on the crab tostadas and top with the tomato chutney, the cheese and avocado raita.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve.