If you’re a spice fan, you’re going to love this one.
I’ve been writing my blog now for about four years and have done very little in the way of ice creams and desserts. It’s hard enough to get home after work and prepare dinner. Although I love to experiment in the kitchen, time has always been a bit of an issue.
You could make this ice cream in a standard ice cream maker. With most kitchen ice cream makers you’d need to freeze the ice cream container for 24 hours and then make it. The problem with this is you need to do some forward planning and you’re only going to get one batch.
So when Buffalo sent me their new ice cream maker that freezes itself and makes homemade ice cream in less than an hour, I jumped at the chance to give it a go. In fact, my kids couldn’t wait to get it out of the box.
We’ve now made so many different family recipes. We’ve even made up to four different ice creams in a day and then served them at a barbecue that evening. With the Buffalo Ice Cream Maker it’s easy. If you don’t have one, however, I hope you give this recipe a go anyway. It’s a great way to end a tandoori feast.
If you would like to order a Buffalo Ice Cream Maker for yourself, just click here.
- 375ml double cream
- 375ml full fat milk
- 150g best quality sweetened dark chocolate
- 6 teaspoons sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 3 egg yolks
- Crushed roasted hazel nuts and/or marshmallows (optional)
- Pour the cream,milk and 3 teaspoons of the sugar into a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and then reduce the heat slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks until they become creamy smooth. Add the remaining 3 teaspoons of sugar and then whisk a little more.
- Pour the egg yolks into the sauce pan. Do not allow the this combo to bubble as the yolks will curdle. Simply cook it on low until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces and add it to the saucepan.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted into the cream. Be sure the cream does not get too hot.
- Add the whisky and chilli powder and stir to combine. Check for seasoning. I used two teaspoons of chilli powder.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Now pour this into your ice cream container and turn on the machine. With the Buffalo Ice Cream Maker, your ice cream will be ready in about 30 minutes.
- If using the hazelnuts or marshmallows, add them just at the end about a minute before the ice cream is ready.