When I was young, I hated spinach. But then my parents never made me a Chicken Saag Balti. Back then, spinach was more of a green bowl of goo that I just couldn’t bring myself to eat. That was the 70s and my parents’ spinach dishes have improved greatly in the past 30 years or so.
This recipe is full of goodness and my kids love it. Chicken saag balti is one of my youngest daughter’s favourites so I make it often.
In fact, I have a lot of different recipes for Chicken saag balti but this is the easiest. You can actually make it in under 30 minutes so it is the perfect after work meal.
Served with fluffy white rice or fresh naans, there are few things better.
International & UK Orders
- 8 chicken thighs – skinned and on the bone
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes - diced
- 400g baby spinach leaves – chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander leaves (about 50g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 green chillies – finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon balti masala (or another tablespoon of garam masala)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the spinach sauce first.
- Remove any large stocks from the spinach leaves and place in a blender, the chillies, coriander and just enough water to blend.
- Blend until you have a smooth sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee/vegetable oil over medium high heat in a batli pan or wok.
- When hot, toss in the chopped onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Now add the garlic and ginger pastes, the garam masala, cumin and balti masala. Coat the onion mixture with the spices.
- Add the chicken thighs and brown them for about three minutes.
- Pour the spinach sauce over the chicken and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. About ten minutes.
- Serve with white rice or fresh naans.
The cast iron balti pan used in this recipe was sent to me by Le Crueset to use in my recipes. I highly recommend getting one. You can view their complete range here.