My Latest and Favourite Dopiaza Recipe is in my New Hardbound Cookbook!
I love dopiaza curries. Some are spicy while others are quite mild. With this recipe you can alter the spice level to whatever you prefer.
This lamb dopiaza recipe uses many of the same ingredients as my chicken dopiaza curry but it tastes quite a lot different. Both curries use the same onion sauce but here I blended it to make a smoother sauce. Check out my chicken dopiaza to see it used unblended.
Using some of the cooking stock from your pre-cooked lamb will also make the flavour quite different. You may be using the same onion and base curry sauce in both dopiazas but adding the cooking stock helps make them completely different curries while still having that familiar dopiaza flavour.
This curry does take a lot of forward preparation. You need to pre-cook your meat, make an onion sauce and of course the essential base curry sauce. Do all this ahead of time, however and you can make this lamb dopiaza curry in just ten minutes!
International & UK Orders
- 800g - pre-cooked meat
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 6 greed cardamom pods - smashed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 - 2 teaspoons mild red chilli powder
- 500ml onion sauce
- 500ml curry sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 handfuls of fried onion (make it yourself of purchase at Asian shops)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander - chopped
- Melt the ghee over medium high heat in a frying pan or wok.
- When bubbling, add the cardamom pods and cumin seeds.
- Allow to sizzle for about 40 seconds and then add the ground spices.
- Spoon in the garlic and ginger paste and the tomato paste and stir it all up to combine.
- Now add the blended onion sauce and the base curry sauce.
- Add the meat and about 100ml to 200ml of the cooking juices from the pre-cooked meat.
- Stir in the fenugreek leaves and top with two large handfuls of fried onions.
- Check for seasoning and the add the fresh coriander and salt and pepper to taste.