This Chinese chicken stock is the essential base ingredient for many of the Chinese takeaway dishes I have lined up for my blog. It is super easy to make and keeps well in the fridge for up to three days is you are working ahead.
I like to cook my Chinese chicken stock in a pressure cooker as it is a lot faster. You could also simmer the stock for about three to four hours on the hob.
Pre-order and Reserve your copy of my Cookbook on Amazon UK!
For international orders, please check out The Book Depository and choose your currency.
- Chinese Chicken Stock
- 2 kilos (4 lbs.) chicken legs and thighs
- 2.5 liters (10 cups) water or homemade chicken stock
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 4 spring onions – roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 x 75mm (3 inch ) piece of ginger – sliced into coins and smashed
- 1 carrot – roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick – roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Szechwan peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- Place all the ingredients in a pressure cooker an cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Alternatively, simmer on the hob for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve and use as required. The stock will keep for 3 days in the fridge and it can be frozen for up to three months.