I love cauliflower. I remember when I was a kid and the stuff used to send me running. I brought my kids up on it so they have always liked what could be referred to as a rather boring vegetable.
This recipe is anything but boring. There is so much going on. From the tempered spices to the crunchy coconut flakes and almonds, this dish simply gets it. It is important to cut the florets quite small so that they cook quickly when stir fried. If you’re looking for a nice side dish to enjoy with your next curry or you want a main course vegetarian dish, this one ticks all the boxes.
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 fresh or frozen curry leaves
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- 2 green chillies - finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - cut into thin slivers
- 1 large handful slivered almonds
- 1 large handful coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head of cauliflower - cut into small florets
- Season with salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large frying pan.
- When visibly hot, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, lower the heat to medium and stir in the cumins seeds and curry leaves.
- Temper all these spices in the hot oil for about 30 seconds and then toss in the chopped onions.
- Fry for about five minutes until soft and translucent and then stir in the green chillies and garlic.
- Fry for a another minute or so and then add the slivered almonds. Toast them in the hot oil for a couple of minutes and then add the coconut flakes. Toast these with the almond flakes for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric and add the cauliflower and fry for about three minutes. Then add about 100ml of water and cook, covered for about three minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue moving the cauliflower around in the pan until cooked through but it still has a bit of bite to it.
- Season with salt to taste and sprinkle with the garam masala to serve.
I highly recommend the coconut flakes supplied by my sponsor Cocofina. You can get more information about Cocofina and their high quality coconut products here.