This isn’t an authentic Birmingham balti though it was prepared in an authentic ‘made in Birmingham’ balti bowl. To be authentic, you would need to omit the sauce in this recipe which was made with fried onions, tomatoes and water and add a base curry sauce instead. With this recipe, I wanted to show you that you can use traditional Indian cooking techniques and still have a balti dinner that is right up there with the best. This aubergine balti may not be like those found in Birmingham but it is still delicious!
Balti curries are served quite thick and dry which makes it easier to dip a naan in and eat it all up.
- 1 aubergine (300g)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 green chilli – finey chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 2 tomatoes – diced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Pre-heat your oven to its highest setting. Rub the skin of the aubergine with about ½ teaspoon of the oil and place it on a roasting tray in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the skin blackens and blisters. Transfer the aubergine to a cutting board and slice it in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the flesh. Discard the skin and cut the flesh into small pieces. Set aside
- Now heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. When visibly hot, toss in the cumin seeds. Temper the cumin in the oil for about 20 seconds. Add the chopped onion and fry for about five minutes until it is soft, translucent and lightly browned.
- Stir in the chilli and garlic and ginger paste. Fry for a further minute or so and then stir in the diced tomatoes.
- Add the dry spices, the aubergine and just enough water to cover. Let the aubergine cook until it is soft and most of the liquid has dried up. Season with salt to taste and check for seasoning.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve.
The balti bowl used in this recipe was supplied by The Birmingham Balti Company. You can get more information here.