How To Make Chicken Dhansak

Chicken Dhansak

Chicken Dhansak

I published a similar chicken dhansak recipe in my first ebook “How To Make British Indian Restaurant Style Meals”. In that recipe, I left the pineapple out as I wasn’t a big fan.

Here I’ve added the pineapple and guess what… I actually quite like it! This curry always goes down well and I often make an extra large batch. I then split it and make a fiery hot version by adding more chillies and a mild version.

I used chicken here but you could add anything to your dhansak sauce you like. Paneer goes quite well.

Forward Preparation

Curry Sauce
Each of the authentic British Indian restaurant (BIR) recipes on my blog requite a base curry sauce. There is a link to the recipe in the recipe below. Once this is made, you can make many different curry house style curries in about ten minutes.

I pre-cook chicken in two ways. Most Indian restaurants use this method to prepare their chicken for this curry. In this recipe, the chicken pieces are slow cooked in a spiced broth. You could add a couple of tablespoons of the cooking juices to your curry for extra flavour.

You could also add tandoori style chicken tikka to this recipe if you’d like to create tandoori Chicken Dhansak.

Making chicken dhansak

Frying the garlic and ginger paste with the turmeric

Making chicken dhansak

Adding the rest of the spices.

Making chicken dhansak

In goes the heated base curry sauce.

Making chicken dhansak

Adding the cooked lentils.

Chicken dhansak

Add the chicken and pineapple, check for seasoning and serve.

How to make british indian restaurant style meals

Illustrated with photographs of each recipe!

4.5 from 2 reviews
How To Make Chicken Dhansak
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: BIR
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4
  • 800 – 1000g pre-cooked chicken
  • 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
  • 1 ½ tablespoons cumin & coriander powder
  • 1 tablespoon chilli powder (more or less to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 250ml red split lentils (rinsed and cook until soft - about 30 minutes)
  • 700ml heated base curry sauce
  • 3 tablespoons fresh chopped coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 100ml pineapple juice
  • 3 – 4 pineapple rings - cut into pieces
  1. Heat the ghee/oil over medium heat. Spoon in the ginger and garlic paste along with the turmeric and let sizzle for about 30 seconds. The turmeric will become darker as you do this.
  2. Now add the cumin, curry powder, chilli powder and tomato paste.
  3. Stir to combine before adding the base curry sauce and let it simmer for about a minute.
  4. Add the cooked lentils and stir it all up. Be careful as lentils will burn to the bottom. Stir often and reduce the heat if necessary.
  5. Now add the chicken pieces and the pineapple juice and pineapple pieces. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with the chopped coriander and serve.

1. says

This is my favorite curry and this recipe was great. I’ve never made it before, in fear of it not being as good as it is in restaurants, but it was!! All my friends loved it too.

2. Ken says

Made this for the first time this evening and I was very pleased with the results and just how fast it was to make.

My local takeaway produces a Dhansak that has a distinct fruity taste but no fruit pieces so I was interested to see the mention of pineapple juice in your recipe.

The taste and texture of your recipe is almost identical to my local which is what I wanted but its clearly not pineapple juice they are using. I suspect they are using orange juice so I will give that a try next.

Thanks for your hard work.

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Ken

I’ve found that a lot of the better restaurants mix in papaya pulp or juice. This works really well. I’ve never tried orange juice with a dhansak so I look forward to hearing what you think.

3. says

Please feel free to join us on Facebook/UK Loves Curry! We are a friendly forum dedicated to promoting, chatting about and enjoying Indian food.

Get to chat with lots of fellow curry lovers, other restaurants, chefs, suppliers, trade journals and curry bloggers from all over the UK and the rest of the world.

Just type UK Loves Curry! Into Facebook from a personal account and click “Join Group”

We look forward to seeing you there.

Regards, Adrian

4. Noel says

I moved to CANADA 3 tears ago and miss my favourite Chicken Dansak. Will try this but my cooking skills are very limited hope my BIR curry sauce is as good as hours to complete the Dansak…

5. Lauren says

I have been looking for a recipe for this for ages and am keen to try it, I have been cooking curry fir a long time but have never come across curry gravy?!

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Lauren

It’s often called a curry sauce or base sauce. Base sauces aren’t used in authentic Indian cookery so if you purchased an Indian cookbook, you wouldn’t have seen it. This recipe is for British Indian restaurant style food. The recipe is very close to what you’ll find at a curry house.

Hope you get a chance to try it.

6. Dave says

Will try this. Just curious about the pineapple juice though, is this the type of pineapple juice that you would use as a drink mixer, or the juice from a tin of pineapple rings? Two different things or does it matter?

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Dave

Use fresh pineapple juice. The juice in the tin of pineapple rings will do the job just fine. :-)

7. Adam says

Could you clarify something for me please? Is it one cup of cooked lentils or one cup of raw lentils, cooked? One cup of raw lentils once cooked, seems an awful lot.

Love the BIR recipes, by the way. Garlic chilli chicken is a favourite!

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Adam

I better have a look at my wording. It is a cup full of pre-cooked lentils. As with more curry house food, the food is almost always pre-cooked and then assembled again when ordered.

8. Ryan says

I have seen Dhansak described as Sweet, Sour and Hot.

I made this recipe and followed it exactly but it seemed to be lacking sweet and sour. It was plenty hot with the 1 TBSP of Chili Powder.

I did add more pineapple juice but the heat still over powered the dish.

Do you have any advice how to add more sweetness? And should it have a bit of sour?

Thanks for this great website.

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Ryan

If you want the curry to be sweeter, add more pineapple juice. That will work fine. For the sour, add lemon juice or even a little citric acid or tamarind.

Hope this helps.

9. julian says

Hi You say 3 cardaman pods how many seeds is that can’t get whole pods in Cyprus.
    is there a substitute for fenugreek in sauce

10. Terry says

Hi dan , just a quick query if you use the chicken from the ” pre cooked method ” do you use the WHOLE of the broth as well and combine that into the. Base sauce or just the chicken from the broth ? and would you blend that broth mixture as you do with the base sauce cheers terry

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Terry

I usually add just a little bit of the broth for flavour. There is no need to blend it. Perhaps a tablespoon or two of the broth. Hope this helps. I’m updating this recipe soon with step by step photographs.

11. Harvey says

Making this tomorrow. Just finished my base sauce. Dhansak is by far my favourite curry and can’t wait to eat this.

12. Lloyd says

I’ve done the base sauce but would prefer to cook chicken in smaller batches. Is there an alternative method without making a broth ?

• Dan Toombs says

Hi Lloyd

You could actually just add the chicken raw if you want. The pre-cooked method gives a little more flavour but that isn’t really important as there are so many nice ingredients in the sauce. You could also use leftovers from a chicken roast or simply fry up some chicken before adding. Hope this helps.

13. MarkG says

Wow! Used the basic curry sauce, and this recipe, to make one of the best curries I have ever cooked. As close to a curry house dish as I have managed to create in 25 years of trying. I varied it slightly by using raw chicken thigh fillets which I fried up with the garlic/ginger paste and turmeric at the start.