This onion chutney has to be one of the most requested recipes on my site!
You know those sliced onions that are served in a red sauce with papadams before the meal at Indian restaurant? Well, they are a lot more popular than you may think. I get asked for this recipe all the time but haven’t managed to type it up until now.
If you are planning a BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style curry night anytime soon, you won’t want to leave this onion chutney off the menu.
My 174 page ebook is available now
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac and PC right here.
- 1 large onion – finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
- A pinch of salt
- Place the sliced onions in a bowl of ice water and put in the fridge for about an hour.
- When the onion slices are good and cold, drain the water and tap them dry with a clean cloth.
- Now mix the ketchup, tomato puree, chilli powder, cumin seeds and salt with the sliced onions.
- Stick in the fridge for about 45 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is perfect with pappadams though I could eat it on its own!