You know those sliced onions that are served in a red sauce with papadams before the meal at Indian restaurants? Well, they are a lot more popular than you may think. I get asked for this recipe all the time.
This one needs to be served super cold right from the fridge. Dip you papadams in or spread a little over your favourite kebabs. This easy chutney just plain gets it.
Pre-order and Reserve your copy of my Cookbook on Amazon!
Also Available on Amazon.com
- 1 large onion - finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
- A pinch of salt
- Place the sliced onions in a bowl of ice water and put in the fridge for about an hour.
- When the onion slices are good and cold, drain the water and tap them dry with a clean cloth.
- Now mix the ketchup, tomato puree, chilli powder, cumin seeds and salt with the sliced onions.
- Stick in the fridge for about 45 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is perfect with papadams though I could eat it on its own!