This simple recipe was sent to me by my friend and restaurateur Eshan ‘Mo’ Miah. He told me how this dish which he calls ‘naasta’ is a must in Bangladeshi homes when surprise guests arrive. This ‘naasta’ (snack) goes a long way. You could use any fine pasta for this recipe but Mo recommends Asian vermicelli which is available at Asian grocers. I have included a photo of what to look for below.
I made this for my family the other night. The vermicelli that comes in 150g bags fed us all. I don’t get it! Usually we need to cook a 500g bag of Italian pasta and even a bit more. It was really surprising how far it all went and the dish was so good too.
If you’re looking for something a little different, give this a go. The flavour is fantastic and the fact you can make it in about ten minutes is a real bonus.
- 150g Asian vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 cloves finely sliced garlic
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chillies - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add the vermicelli. It only needs to cook for 3 - 4 minutes as it is so thin. When cooked, pour it into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Heat the oil in the pan you used to cook the vermicelli over medium high heat. When visibly hot, add the chopped onion and fry until soft and lightly browned. Add the green chillies and garlic slivers and fry for a further minute or so.
- Add the turmeric and curry powder followed by the eggs and fry it all up until good and scrambled.
- Then, pour in the vermicelli and toss it around until well mixed and heated through.
- Season with salt to taste. garnish with the coriander and squeeze lemon juice to taste over the top to serve.
The pan and pot used in this recipe were sent to me to try by Zanussi Cookware UK. I am over the moon with the quality of these products so you will be seeing a lot more of them in my posts. If you would like more information, please click here.